Tuesday, June 30, 2009

GHD Raises

What does your butt look like? Do you think it is working as efficiently as top butts do?
Well I thought my butt was working really well until my coach gave me a simple glute test and I did not receive a passing grade. So I embarked on getting some serious glute action; first with some basic fundamental glute exercises and developing into an advanced exercise in the video below, the GHD Raise "Glute Hamstring Developer".
I had the hardest time with this movement and have been practicing it a few times every week along with some smaller glute functional movements to get my posterior chain and pelvic floor development to come full circle.
Like I tell my clients: every one needs a wicked strong badonkadonk! The glutes are one of the first muscles to deteriorate as you get older due to a major drop in physical activity.
That physical activity is what keeps your good looking piece of machinery in working order.....if you do not keep your butt up to par you can join the "Look like your walking with a pickle up your ass club!" You know the butts I am talking about.......the butts that are big on top and small at the bottom .....you can think of this as "Dysfunctional Heart Bottom Syndrome" as described by Paul Chek in "Eat Move and Be Healthy". Have your partner look at your butt (not someone on the street) if they can draw a Heart right side up then you have DHBS. If your butt looks like an upside down heart, that is a step in the right direction, functional glute testing would be the next step.
What is DHBS? The top of the butt cheek muscles called "Gluteus Medius" are hyper-active and too large due to a pelvic floor and posterior chain instability creating atrophy in the Larger butt muscles "Gluteus Maximus". Some causes of DHBS can come from: Inactivity, C-Sections, back trauma and high body fat, all creating pelvic instability.

Check out this video demonstrating GHD Raises

2 comments:

Mike said...

Wicked post, Coach! I love the tutorial-type informative posts that you drop every once in a while, and also what you eat/supplement PWO.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chad. Great post. I just started doing these this week. Wish i'd seen your demo before i attempted it..

Our blog is up. crossfitcrew.wordpress.com

Ross