Monday, July 06, 2009

WATT OUTPUT - WHAT HAS MORE?

WOD #1
21-15-9 Rep Rounds for Time
SDLHP 95#
Hip Smashers
Double Unders

TIME = 3:32

WOD #2
21-15-9 Rep Rounds for Time
SDLHP 75#
Hip Smashers
Double Unders

TIME = 3:12

I did these two wods to find out two things:
1.) What poundage would gas me more?
2,) What watts/power output in terms of load would work best for me to get the proper hormonal response?
I found that after the 95# WOD #1 I was gassed and this slowed my exercise transition time in the gymnastic and metcon elements. No breaks at all in WOD, just slow...that equals no power.

The 75# WOD #2 gassed me really well as I pushed it hard as I could.
In both WODs due to intensity I forgot a rep, shit happens, I was focused more on watts and power output.

Look at it this way, on the Rower you have a Watt gage right. If I compare these two WODs to that gage, WOD 1's watt gage would have started high, but slowed throughout the workout do to many up and down intervals with no watt consistency.
In WOD 2 this row watt gage would have had a more consistent level of output, therefore leading into a larger watt output over a longer period of time.....the light bulb can stay lit loner sort of speak.
So I chose WOD 2 for the watt/power output, but WOD one was still in my grasp for a good workout.

What am I looking at?
For beginners starting out, do not always choose the required weight, especially if is making you stop all the time for rest. This rest will hinder the proper hormonal response the workout is aiming for. So shoot for a load that will get you closer to what a required time would be:( e.g. Fran in under 5min try 45#-75#) now you will get what your coach is looking for, Results :-)

I will post a two way video of these WODs when its finished.

No comments: