Friday, December 11, 2009

FISH OIL, FISH OIL IS ALL I HEAR

My coach James FitzGerald "OPT" posted these two videos by Professor Peskin on some great Experiments NOT Studies with the supplementation of Fish Oil.

I for one do not use fish oil, but enjoy having salmon once per week or every other week.
Not using fish oil anymore was a decision I made along with my coach after taking it for a few months. I really try to listen to my body and felt right away that when taking fish oil I felt like crap, plus I got Diarrhea the same day and even worse in the mornings. The day I went off fish oil I felt like my body was going back to normal, and no more "runs" thank god!

Right now I know a lot of people ramming fish oil in very large doses for many reasons like: weight loss, energy, inflammation, pain and because he said she said. Those people that I have listened to about taking fish oil tell me they like it and are seeing the results they want, but are they doing more harm than good to their body?

Fish oil might work great and it might not, in the end YOU are the one to decide this. What we can do to help this fish oil situation out is to do some research and share this info with others we love and train with.....and not argue about it ;-)

In the end, the choices YOU make in your life are to be made for what YOU WANT NOW to make YOUR LIFE GREAT!
Making YOUR choices NOW pave YOUR own road the way YOU WANT it to look :-)

Here are the videos.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8icw-ua8g

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SYlEuRnVg

1 comment:

Mike said...

Interesting stuff, Coach. Looks like OPT posted up some fairly scathing stuff on Mr. Peskin today:
http://westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/peskin-and-efas.html

I'm fairly sure I won't bother listening to anything else Peskin has to say.

I think I'll stick with Robb and Dr. Sears on the fish oil for now. Like you said, though, individualism is everything---finding what works for YOU in the chaos of nutrition is the hardest part.

I'd like to see some well-controlled studies on fish oil in the high-dose range that Sears and Wolf recommend (0.5-1.0g EPA/DHA per 10lbsBW). ***IN ATHLETES***. There's no doubt that chronically sick/sedentary/obese folks need that higher dose, and it's proven why, but a lean athlete still supping at 0.5g/10lbsBW? I'm skeptical, even though that's what I've been doing over the past 6 months.

It needs to be quantified AND qualified.