Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Playing the Game"

A client of mine J-Mac, had a goal from last year to be able to do an Overhead Squat (OHS). Great goal!
When J-Mac and I first started training together I would get him to hold a wooded training dowel in an OHS grip above his head. This position looked like someone being held in an ancient torture device by the extreme pain J-Mac's face was showing....we were not even squatting yet.
Due to J-Mac's severe tightness in his pecs and shoulders, focus was placed on individualized programming, specialized homework along with J-Mac's patience and a desire to want to stick to it. (something I call "playing the game").
J-Mac's solid dedication to his programming, homework (flexibility & yoga) and patience, helped him to attain his goal of performing an OHS!
Way to stick to your goals pal, nice work! And that is one way on how to play the game!
Now I get to fine tune the little things buddy.....awh man!

"Time does not matter, success and happiness with what you are doing now, for a better tomorrow, means you are playing the game!"
Chad Action Brandt

4 comments:

JimmyMac said...

Sweet! Thanks for the plug Chad!

Thank YOU for your awesome guidance on not only my OHS/flexibility training, but also in my overall health/fitness journey!! Feel better than ever, and the sky is the limit!

I still recall that day with the dowel - both my arms went numb for almost a week!

Unknown said...

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily."

Great work JMac!!!

Katrina Burton said...

Nice work Jimmy! Keep up the hard work. We are all noticing your improvements.

Gabrielle said...

Thanks for posting your comment on our Crossfit Moncton site Jimmy. OHS is one of my goats as well and I'm always inspired to see others getting better at it :) Keep up the great work!