Thursday, January 19, 2012

Quinoa Burgers

Need a quick switch up on your regular complex carb?
I gave these quinoa burgers a try; purchased at Save On Foods.
When I told the clients at our gym that I ate quinoa burgers and that they were AWESOME.......
everyone thought I was kidding.....but really they were scrumptious, it is all what you put with it!
Here is what the box looked like for those that want to try.
Very easy to do, place in bowel with hot water, let sit, make 5-6 small burgers.
Then give them a quick fry with coconut oil in a pan and serve.
Make the patties small. The nutritional facts state one small burger (75g) has:
Protein = 12g
Carbs =  51g with 7grams of great fiber.
Fat = 5g
Go smaller is size to get less carbs or simply break the burger in half and get 6g pro / 25.5g cho / 2.5g fat
There was not enough protein for this guy so I added two eggs. Plus I wanted more of a burger feel to the quinoa so I added a couple slices of tomato and onions. I topped this with salt and pepper and a side pickle.
No need for the bun people, there are enough carbs to go around.
What I loved the most about this burger was the yolks breaking all over. It helped with the quinoa sticking together when you clean your plate.
Check them out below.
Hidden from picture = pickle, onions, slice tomato :-) under the eggs

I ate the other burgers in the following few days.
They kept well in the fridge.
I had great workouts on those days, big energy. On those training days
about 90 min prior to lifting I ate this: I mixed my 6oz flank steak,
1 quinoa burger, 4oz broccoli and a few dabs of hot sauce and soya sauce for sodium and flavor.
Again the quinoa went down well.
I will for sure try these again. I think I will also try to make these on my own by mixing the quinoa with amaranth flour.
Food is great! Food is fuel!


No comments: